The Circuit Court appoints the three-member Electoral Board on recommendations from the local political parties. Two Electoral Board members represent the current governor’s political party, while the third member represents the party with the second-highest number of statewide votes in the last gubernatorial election. The chairman and secretary must represent different political parties, unless the minority party member has agreed otherwise.
Current Electoral Board members are (D = Democrat, R = Republican):
- Charlene N. Bickford (D), Chairman
- David A. Bell (D), Vice Chairman
- Allen H. Harrison, Jr. (R), Secretary
The Electoral Board members serve part-time appointments in staggered three-year terms. By law, they receive a set compensation amount and must meet twice a year in addition to specific election-related meetings. Other meetings may be held, as needed, to facilitate the administration of Arlington’s elections.
The Electoral Board:
- Appoints and trains the election officers who work at the Election Day polls
- Prints, mails and processes absentee ballots
- Receives and reviews candidate filings and campaign finance reports
- Maintains accurate minutes and election records
- Performs other specific duties as prescribed by the Code of Virginia or directed by the Virginia Department of Elections
- Delegates many of the day-to-day tasks performed in conjunction with these duties to the registrar and the registrar’s staff
Registrar & Staff
In the year after the governor takes office, the Electoral Board must appoint a general registrar, the full-time staff administrator of the Office of Voter Registration, to serve a four-year term. Usually, the Electoral Board reappoints the current registrar, unless the registrar plans to retire.
The general registrar:
- Must be a resident of Arlington County
- Can’t hold other elected or appointed offices
- Can’t participate in partisan political activities
- Hires assistant registrars and other employees required to run the office
Linda Lindberg, General Registrar
In 2003, Linda Lindberg was appointed Arlington’s general registrar, after having served as the deputy registrar since 1994. She has served several terms as co-chair of the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments’ Election Officials Technical Committee; is active in the Voter Registrars’ Association of Virginia; and has provided assistance on special projects and task forces for the Virginia Department of Elections, the U.S. Election Assistance Commission and the Election Center/National Association of Election Officials. Prior to her Arlington County employment, Linda worked in arts administration for about 15 years, first as a practitioner and later for a data systems vendor. She holds a bachelor’s degree in theater and arts management from Miami University (Ohio) and a Master of Public Administration degree from George Mason University.
|Permanent Staff||Regular Part-Time/Seasonal Staff|
|Linda Lindberg, General Registrar||Wes MacAdam, Assistant Registrar|
|Gretchen Reinemeyer, Deputy Registrar||Maggie Lynch, Assistant Registrar|
|Cheryl Scannell, Absentee Manager||Judy Sever, Assistant Registrar|
|Jackie Letizia, Election Specialist||Kitty Clark Stevenson, Assistant Registrar|
|Bill Sands, Outreach Coordinator||Kendall Hudak, Assistant Registrar|
|Nerys Lopez, Assistant Registrar||Tyra Baker, Assistant Registrar|
|Don Hodgen, Assistant Registrar||Madolyn Keller, Assistant Registrar|
|Jack Nickerson, Assistant Technician|
|Richard Muffley, Assistant Technician|