Notice: The new photo voter ID requirements are NOT in effect for the Aug. 19 Special Election in the 48th House District. The order for the election was issued on June 30, so the election must be conducted under laws in effect at that time. The new photo ID law did not take effect until July 1. For Aug. 19 ONLY, the following forms of ID are valid:
- Virginia voter registration card
- Social security card
- Valid Virginia driver’s license or DMV ID card
- Virginia concealed handgun permit
- Any identification card issued by Virginia government, any of its political subdivisions, or the federal government
- A valid student ID card issued by a Virginia institution of higher learning
- An employer ID with a photograph
- A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, or paycheck showing the name and address of the voter.
Effective for all other elections after July 1, 2014: All Virginia voters must show a photo ID when they go to the polls or apply for an absentee ballot in person.
Acceptable photo IDs include:
- A Virginia driver’s license or DMV ID card
- Any ID issued by the U.S. Government, Virginia Government or any Virginia local government, provided it contains a photograph. Examples include:
- Military ID
- Naturalization certificate
- Arlington Senior ID issued by the Sheriff’s Office (see below)
- An employer photo ID with photograph
- A student ID card, with photograph, from any Virginia college or university
If you do not have any of the above forms of ID, beginning July 1, 2014, you can obtain a FREE photo ID for voting purposes only at the Office of Voter Registration (see address and contact information at bottom of page).
Also, the Arlington County Sheriff’s Office provides free photo IDs to Arlington residents age 62 and older, by appointment only. Please call 703-228-7063 for additional information. These IDs are government-issued and acceptable for voting purposes.
If you forget to bring ID to the polls, you can vote a provisional ballot, but that ballot will not be counted unless you provide the Electoral Board a copy of your valid ID by no later than noon on the Friday after the election.