NOTICE: Annual Mail Ballot Application Renewal Letters
The Arlington Office of Voter Registration & Elections mailed approximately 26,000 mail ballot applications to voters who submitted an annual mail ballot application in 2020. The application(PDF, 902KB) and notice(PDF, 143KB) are official.
In July 2020, all voters in Virginia could complete an annual mail ballot application under Virginia Code 24.2-703.1. This application automatically sends a mail ballot for all elections in the calendar year in which the voter is eligible. Previously, the annual application was only available to voters with a disability or illness.
Voters had the option to request mail ballots for all elections in 2020 by checking the appropriate box on the application. Doing so placed the voter on the annual application list. Our Office is required to notify these voters that their annual application expires at the end 2020.
Voters who would like to be placed on the annual mail ballot list for 2021, must submit a new application.
Voters who received this mailing have options.
- If you want to automatically receive a mail ballot for all elections you are eligible to vote in during 2021, you must submit a new application. You can return the application you received by emailing it as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org, mailing it, or delivering in person to our mailbox or office at 2100 Clarendon Blvd, Ste 320, Arlington, VA 22201
Beginning January 1, 2021, you can apply online using the Department of Elections Citizen Portal. The year 2021 will not be available until then.
- If you do not want to vote by mail in 2021, no action is needed. You can discard the application.
Voters who did not receive this mailing are eligible to complete an annual mail ballot application as well. More information.
- All voters in Virginia can submit a mail ballot application up to 1 year in advance of an election.
- There is not a deadline to apply to be on the annual mail ballot list. Applications for mail ballots must be received 11 days before an election.
- Ballots will be mailed 45 days prior to an Election.
- If you want to vote in a primary, you must indicate a party preference. Only one party can be selected.
Upcoming Elections in 2021
November 2, 2021 General Election. On the ballot will be the offices of:
- Lieutenant Governor
- Attorney General,
- House of Delegates (45th, 47th, 48th, and 49th Districts)
- County Board (1 seat)
- School Board (1 seat)
A Primary Election, if called for by the political parties, will be held at a date to be determined (TBD).