The Circuit Court appoints the three-member Electoral Board on recommendations from the local political parties. Two Electoral Board members represent the current governor’s political party, while the third member represents the party with the second-highest number of statewide votes in the last gubernatorial election. The chairman and secretary must represent different political parties, unless the minority party member has agreed otherwise.
Current Electoral Board members are (D = Democrat, R = Republican):
- Charlene N. Bickford (D), Chairman
- David A. Bell (D), Vice Chairman
- W. Scott McGeary (R), Secretary
The Electoral Board members serve part-time appointments in staggered three-year terms. By law, they receive a set compensation amount and must meet twice a year in addition to specific election-related meetings. Other meetings are held, as needed, to facilitate the administration of Arlington’s elections.
The Electoral Board:
- Appoints the election officers who work at the Election Day polls
- Maintains accurate minutes and election records
- Performs other specific duties as prescribed by the Code of Virginia or directed by the Virginia Department of Elections
- Delegates many of the day-to-day tasks performed in conjunction with these duties to the registrar and the registrar’s staff
Director of Elections & Staff
In the year after the governor takes office, the Electoral Board must appoint a general registrar, the full-time staff administrator of the Office of Elections, to serve a four-year term. Usually, the Electoral Board reappoints the current registrar, unless the registrar plans to retire.
The general registrar, in his or her capacity of director of elections:
- Must be a resident of Arlington County
- Can’t hold other elected or appointed offices or participate in partisan political activities
- Hires assistant registrars and other employees required to run the office
- Performs other specific duties as delegated by the Electoral Board or prescribed by the Code of Virginia or directed by the Virginia Department of Elections
Linda Lindberg, Director of Elections and Registrar
In 2003, Linda Lindberg was appointed Arlington’s general registrar, after having served as the deputy registrar since 1994. She has been active in several professional associations and has served as a subject matter expert on various panels and task forces. Prior to her Arlington County employment, Linda worked in arts administration, first as a practitioner and later for a data systems vendor. She has a bachelor’s degree from Miami University (Ohio) and a Master of Public Administration degree from George Mason University.
|Permanent Staff||Regular Part-Time/Seasonal Staff|
|Linda Lindberg, Director of Elections||Wes MacAdam, Assistant Registrar|
|Gretchen Reinemeyer, Deputy Director||Judy Sever, Assistant Registrar|
|Cheryl Scannell, Absentee Manager||Kitty Clark Stevenson, Assistant Registrar|
|Jackie Letizia, Election Specialist||Renee Cannon, Assistant Registrar|
|Bill Sands, Outreach Coordinator||Dianne Swanson, Assistant Registrar|
|Nerys Lopez, Senior Assistant Registrar||Tyra Baker, Assistant Registrar|
|Don Hodgen, Senior Assistant Registrar||Sonia Garcia-Dash, Assistant Registrar|
|Richard Muffley, Assistant Technician/Rover|
|Stu Nagurka, Assistant Technician/Rover|
|Jack Nickerson, Assistant Technician/Rover|
|David Roth, Assistant Technician/Rover|