You can apply for an absentee ballot as soon as you know you are unable to go to the polls on Election Day — but no earlier than 12 months before the election date.
- Apply online or download one of these forms:
- Virginia Absentee Ballot Application (fillable PDF), for most absentee voters. A separate application is required for each election.
- Federal Post Card Application (fillable PDF), for active duty military and overseas citizens only
- Annual Absentee Application (fillable PDF) for certain persons with an ongoing illness or disability*
Note: If you plan to vote absentee in person, don’t complete an absentee ballot application in advance — you’ll complete the form when you arrive to vote.
To return your completed application to the Office of Voter Registration, you can:
- Fax it to 703-228-3705
- Email a scanned attachment of the application to absentee(at)arlingtonva.us
- Mail it to:
Office of Voter Registration
2100 Clarendon Blvd., Suite 320
Arlington, VA 22201
The application must be received by 5pm on the Tuesday before the election for a ballot to be mailed.
Under Virginia law, all absentee ballots must either be voted in person at our office or mailed directly to the voter. Ballots can’t be sent “in care of” another individual. We use certified first-class U.S. mail to send ballots within the U.S. and a special prepaid U.S. postage permit to mail ballots overseas. At the voter’s request and prepaid expense, we can send ballots via Express Mail or other commercial courier service. Call our office at 703-228-3456 for more details.
*Certain individuals with an ongoing illness or disability may submit one Annual Absentee Application (fillable PDF) that will be used for all elections in the calendar year. The first application you submit must include a statement about your disability or illness from your physician or religious practitioner. Thereafter, we will mail you a new application each December for you to use for the coming year.