Register to Vote or Update Your Voter Registration
Eligibility: All U.S. citizen residents of Virginia aged 18 years or older, or who will be 18 by the next general election, who have not been convicted of a felony or judged by a court as mentally incapacitated are eligible to register to vote. If you will be 18 by Nov 3, 2020, you can vote in the March 3rd election. To have your Rights Restored, apply online or email.
You do not need to register in Virginia again if you are already registered at your current address. Check your Registration. If your name or address has changed, you should update your registration to avoid delays when you vote. Registration is closed 21 days before general or primary elections and 13 days before special elections. The Deadline to Register or Update for the March 3, 2020 Election is Monday, Feb 10, 2020.
- Apply or Update online. You need a Virginia DMV ID Number to complete the application online.
- Apply or Update In Person. Visit the Office of Elections, Mon-Fri, 8 am -5 pm. You do not need to bring anything. We do not require ID or proof of residence when registering.
- Apply or Update by Mail.
You can return the application in person or by mail to:
Office of Elections
2100 Clarendon Blvd. Suite 320
Arlington VA 22201
Voter Registration Applications in Languages Other Than English
The U.S. Election Assistance Commission provides the National Mail Voter Registration Application, in Spanish and a number of Asian languages, including Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Tagalog, and Hindi.
- Update by Fax. We can only accept name or address updates via fax. You must already be a Virginia voter.
Check your Voter Registration
- Check online.
- Call the Office of Voter Registration at 703-228-3456
- Email the Office of Voter Registration Include your:
- Full name
- Current address
- Last four digits of your Social Security Number
- Date of Birth
Virginia is an Open Primary state which means that all registered voters in Virginia can vote in either the Democratic or Republican primary. You cannot register by party. When both parties are holding a Primary, you will be asked which primary you want to vote in when you check in with your photo ID.